Friday 23 July 2021

BOOKISH MATTERS

Dick Pountain/Idealog 315/11:48 Monday, October 5th, 2020

One of my lockdown activities has been extending my reading of the great Italian writer Italo Calvino, which included his If On A Winter's Night A Traveller, a serio-comic, postmodern novel about books. The narrator (perhaps also the reader) begins a novel that ends abruptly because it's been wrongly bound with duplicated sections. Returning it to the bookshop he meets a girl with a similarly defective copy, and together they set out to finish the story, which becomes ever more complicated. A bewildering sequence of partial novels by different (or not) authors about sex, war, spies, all totally gripping, none ever proceeding to an ending. It's not another book about the dreaded abstraction 'narrative', but about the material existence of books, which had been on my mind for two reasons.

Back in Idealog 227, 2013, I recounted my adventures trying to publish my book Sampling Reality, about the intersection of philosophy, information theory and neuroscience – as a Kindle Book, using a then state-of-the-art conversion tool called Calibre. I was beset by problems like all special characters displaying as '⎽' and suffered agonies trying to get table-of-contents to work, employing every conceivable different input format like docx, pdf, rtf, odf and more. I eventually got it accepted, and it’s since failed to disturb the best-sellers list, but at least it’s there.

Reflecting on this a few weeks ago I’d decided perhaps to give the book away as a PDF, when almost immediately after this thought occurred to me, Kindle Direct Publishing emailed to announce that they’ve just launched a paperback book print service in addition to ebooks. Too good to ignore, I set about downloading the new version of their production tool Kindle Create. It’s available for PC and Mac only so I installed it onto my Windows laptop, which has lain unused except as a print server for several years, and has a developed a sporadic problem involving a locust-like system process called ‘Runtime Broker’ that gobbles CPU and memory until I squash it in Task Manager.

I’d far rather have done the conversion on my Chromebook, but I soldiered on in semi-crippled Windows and it went better than Calibre, give or take fixing the odd missing contents item. I uploaded the resulting .kcb file to KDP, only to be curtly told it wouldn’t fit into the default 6” x 9“ page size. I’d never considered page size with my ebook of course. Having seen enough of Task Manager, I went downstairs to my Chromebook and reformatted the original .docx in Google Docs, emailed it to myself and went back upstairs to re-do the Kindle Create, which was now accepted. Made a new cover using Kindle Cover Creator, which went well, submitted it all and 72 hours later was given a PDF proof and told my paperback, now 191 pages long rather than 155, has been published. Result.

The second bookish adventure involved reviewing Thomas Piketty’s 1093-page Capital And Ideology for The Political Quarterly. The review copy arrived and is the size of two house-bricks and at 1.7kg almost as heavy. My normal mode of reading, flat on my back on the sofa, was entirely out of the question, and even propping it up on the table was problematic - laid flat it won’t stay open at your page, propped up it slides downwards. I purchased a neat little lectern on Amazon, made in Germany from bamboo and chromed wire.

The book’s spine width and weight were too much for it until I bent the wires into a different shape, and then constructed an ingenious – if I say so myself – system of rubber bands and grommets to hold the pages open. After a week or so of this I contacted Belknap and asked whether they had a Kindle edition. They didn’t but their charming UK PR sent me a PDF instead. It’s also big, at 25Mb, and unusably slow in Adobe Reader, but fortunately I have a better PDF viewer, the marvellous Chrome extension PDF.js. A community-driven GitHub project, built with HTML5 and available free from the Web Store, it’s maintained by Rob Wu (PDF Viewer Chrome extension) who describes it thus: “Our goal is to create a general-purpose, web standards-based platform for parsing and rendering PDFs.”

And oh boy does it parse, searching the huge book fast enough to be my principal means of navigation, and its page zoom is far nicer than Adobe’s too. Over the months my review took I barely touched the printed book again. So what exactly is the postmodern moral of this story? Are e-books finished, are they still the future, or are they just yet another tool that has its place when applied to the right problems?

No comments:

Post a Comment

SOCIAL UNEASE

Dick Pountain /Idealog 350/ 07 Sep 2023 10:58 Ten years ago this column might have listed a handful of online apps that assist my everyday...