Friday 15 September 2023

THE DUCK IN MY BATH

Dick Pountain /Idealog 344/ 05 Mar 2023 02:51

I was born and schooled among the coalfields of North East Derbyshire, but I no longer have much of a regional accent. I came to London as a student and have been here ever since, three-quarters of my life. I haven’t acquired a Norf Landan accent, but you could detect my vestigial Derbyshire one were I to say, for example, “there’s a duck in my bath”. I’ve written here before about my fascination with human speech, especially using computers to recognise and simulate it, but my interest runs deeper than that. 

As a writer, both spelling and pronunciation matter to me: pronunciation matters not because I do a lot of public speaking, which I don’t, but because I read every line back ‘aloud in my head’ to see whether it works or not. Computers have certainly made determining pronunciation, particularly of words in ‘foreign’ languages, a lot easier, but it’s still not as easy as it could and should be. Enlightened sources like Wikipedia and the Oxford Dictionary do exploit the capacity of a computer to speak to you, but it’s not yet universally and transparently implemented at operating system level. 

Probably the route most people take to discover the pronunciation of a word is to Google it, which almost inevitably leads to one of thousands of (not always reliable) YouTube videos in which the word is spoken. I still occasionally have to resort to this, the upside being that doing so occasionally stumbles into interesting videos about accent and pronunciation, like an excellent series by Dr Geoff Lindsey. His video about ‘weak forms’  (https://youtu.be/EaXYas58_kc) explains a great stumbling block for those new to English speaking, that certain words get skipped over almost inaudibly by native speakers. 

This interest in foreign spellings and pronunciation often pays off. While reading an article about the 17th-century Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth (not so obscure as it sounds given current events in that region) the spelling of Polish place-names had me continually scuttling back and forth to Wikipedia, and pronunciation mattered too because some Polish letter forms (like ł) resemble ours but are pronounced quite differently. Wikipedia helped out by offering an IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) transcription – for example Wrocław becomes vrɔt͡swaf – and clicking that let me hear it spoken, even though it did awkwardly happen in a separate pop-up window. 

Google Docs, in which I’m typing this column, can’t speak to me, but if I type Wrocław into Google Keep, select it and hit ‘Translate’ on the right-button menu, it gets sent to Google Translate where I can hear it spoken. This works too in Facebook, YouTube, and any other app that has ‘Translate’ on its menu. Google Translate can speak many, though not all, of its supported languages, but it doesn’t at present let you change voices, pitch or speed. Even so, if you’re handy with your thumbs and use a dictation facility you can make your mobile act as a Startrek-style translator to converse with someone in another language (rather haltingly).  

The more capable text-to-speech apps like Vocality and Text Reader allow you to change voice (male, female, US, UK and so on), pitch and speed, but reading in regional accents, something I’d like to do, is currently beyond any of them. The first speech synthesiser I ever used in the early 1990s performed hardware modelling of the human vocal tract, and came with a very simple scripting scheme that let you markup text with ASCII tags to change the length of vowels or raise their pitch, but it never caught on. To do accents properly you’ll need to learn IPA, translate and edit your chosen words manually, then use an app that can pronounce IPA directly (which Google Translate can’t). IPA fonts are easily available, as are online services like ToPhonetics (https://tophonetics.com) that turn ASCII text into IPA and IPA Reader (https://ipa-reader.xyz) which can speak the resulting IPA. So, in principle I can alter texts to be spoken in regional accents, but it’s still a rather messy procedure split between several different apps.

That I might want to do it at all is in order to study isoglosses, boundaries between regions where different accents are spoken, an interest I share with one Ian McMillan from whose article (https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/mar/21/language-derbyshire-barnsley-pronunciation-dialect) I learn that I was born right on the isogloss between South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire: “In Barnsley I call my house my house, but if I went to visit my cousins Ronald and Harry in north Derbyshire, they would meet me at the gate and invite me into their freshly wallpapered arse.” Whether or not there’s a duck in their bath seems rather irrelevant.

[Dick Pountain definitely lives in a ‘house’ in Norf Landan]


No comments:

Post a Comment

SOCIAL UNEASE

Dick Pountain /Idealog 350/ 07 Sep 2023 10:58 Ten years ago this column might have listed a handful of online apps that assist my everyday...